Episode 4: What Happened to #SandraBland??
In this episode we will discuss the current events involving police brutality and unforgettable deaths caused by police specifically to African Americans, and the outrage the country has been in, in search of justice.
Co Host: Eryka W. (young black college educated woman, currently pursuing Master’s degree is Non-Profit Management)
- Eric Garner (placed in chokehold for selling loose cigarettes. Died from injuries sustained during arrest)
- Mike Brown (suspected of allegedly robbing a convenience store, shot 5+ times by white police officer)
- Freddie Gray (died of a spinal cord injury a week after he was arrested by Baltimore police.)
- Walter Scott (was shot by a police officer while running away from a traffic stop for a broken taillight.)
- Tamir rice (young 12 year old child who is killed by police)
There are countless others. If you search black men on Google, it will complete the term and add “black men killed by police.”
An analysis of the available FBI data by Vox’s Dara Lind shows that US police kill black people at disproportionate rates: black people accounted for 31 percent of police shooting victims in 2012, even though they made up just 13 percent of the US population.
Quote for Today: